Friday, March 13, 2009

Turkey Pot Pie



This recipe came from my MIL a few years back....I ashamed it it's the first time I've tried it...it's delicious!!

1/3 cup potatoes, diced
1/3 cup carrots, sliced
1/3 cup peas, frozen
¼ cup celery, chopped
1 TBL onion, chopped
½ cup water, boiling
2 TBL soft margarine
¼ cup flour
½ tsp salt
1/8 tsp pepper
1/8 tsp poultry seasoning
1 1/3 cup turkey broth
2/3 cup milk
1 ½ cup turkey, cooked and diced

Add vegetables to boiling water. Cover and boil gently until vegetables are just tender, about 6 minutes. Drain. Melt margarine; stir in flour and seasonings. Add broth and milk slowly, stirring constantly; cook until thickened. Stir in turkey and vegetables.

Some how I totally MISSED putting in the potatoes (which if FUNNY because that's what I was looking forward to the most!!!). I basically doubled the recipe and added a bit more seasoning. I also added white pepper (since that's one of our favorite spices!!). I used chicken broth instead of turkey broth since I didn't have any. The turkey is left over from Christmas time so it was super easy to just pull the turkey out of the freezer, let it defrost, and cut it up with my kitchen scissors. It was VERY yummy. I definitely serve this after we've had turkey again to use up some of the turkey. Since there's no "crust", you could serve this in bread bowls or even add dumplings to the top.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

This is great!! I have a TON of leftover turkey to use! Thanks!

Megan said...

I will have to try this one too, I LOVE pot pies!