Sunday, November 2, 2008

Maria's Italian Meatballs


I just tried these on Friday night for "witches' eyeballs" in our brains (spaghetti) we had for dinner on Friday night. They were pretty good...but Dave and I really think they need a little bit more spice. They were just right for the kids so that's why I'm sharing :)

1 lb hamburger
1/2 cup Italian bread crumbs
1 egg (or 1/3 cup water)
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1 onion, chopped
1 clove of garlic (this could of been part of the problem since I had to use garlic powder rather than a clove of garlic because I was actually out of garlic...which is kind of crazy since it seems I usually have 2-3 heads in the fridge at all times)
salt & pepper

Mix all ingredients together. If you use the water rather than the egg, don't add all of the water at one time. Mixture should be moist but not so that the meatballs fall apart. Shape meatballs to desired size and place on a broiler pan (I just used a glass 9x13 pan). Broil until outside is slightly brown on one side and then turn and broil the other side (I found that on high broil it took just under 3 minutes on each side). When finished, add to spaghetti sace and simmer at least 20 minutes. I added mine to a crockpot with spaghetti sauce and cooked on low for about 4 hours.

No comments: