Saturday, March 12, 2011

Navajo Tacos

So I was really running short on time when we had Navajo Tacos for dinner this week so I ended up making the fry bread recipe on the link I first linked to.  Here's the recipe again...
3 cups flour
3 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
2 tbsp shortening
Warm water

Sift flour, baking powder and salt together. Cut in shortening and add enough warm water 1 teaspoon at a time to make a dough. Mix until dough is no longer sticky. Pinch off a small handful and roll or pat out to 1/8 inch thick. I fried the bread in a skillet that had about 3/4 of an inch of canola oil in it.  Dave and I liked them this way...the kids not so much (they were expecting our usual scones) so they just used tortillas instead.
I love that everyone can add whatever toppings they like on theirs.  I browned my hamburger and added taco seasoning and salsa (our favorite way for taco meat).  The other toppings included refried beans, avocado, cheese, lettuce, tomatoes, sour cream, and salsa.  We had these while we were on vacation between Christmas and New Year's...we used the frozen Rhodes dough (I believe) for the fry bread.  They worked good, too...although, I think most of the kids had more "sweet" navajo tacos than actual real food navajo tacos.

No comments: