Monday, August 17, 2009

Bottled Spaghetti Sauce


Some of our tomatoes survived our summer vacation so Sydney and I made Spaghetti Sauce today while the other two were at school. Here is the recipe that I use. It's one that I got last year from my mom who got it from my aunt who got it from a lady at church. I cut the recipe in half for the amount of tomatoes I had :)

1/2 bushel of tomatoes (10 quarts of juice)

Cook the tomatoes and then run them through a juicer and then you don't have the seeds and peelings. Personally, I just boil my tomatoes, pour off the water, and then puree the tomatoes in the blender.

8 - 8 oz. cans tomato sauce (I really think this is suppose to be tomato paste but we like the taste of it with the tomato sauce, although, it does make the end result more runny)
1 1/2 TBL oregano
1 cup sugar
1 tsp basil
1/2 cup salt
1 TBL parsley flakes
1/2 tsp thyme
3 TBL Italian seasoning

Mix all together and simmer. Add juiced tomatoes.

3/4 pint oil (about 1 1/2 cups should do it)
2 green peppers
3 stalks of celery (use less to avoid a strong celery taste)
3 lbs. onions
2 heads of garlic

Chop veggies and cook in oil until soft. Put through colander. Add veggie mixture to tomato mixutre and simmer until quite thick. Pour into jars. Process 20 minutes in boiling water bath. This sauce can be used for spaghetti, pizza, ravioli, lasanga, manicotti...just open and warm :)

No comments: