Sunday, October 5, 2008

Syrup

As most of you know, I've been making a lot of jam and jelly this year. Last week, I made another batch of grape jelly. I ended up with 2 cups leftover grape juice so I called my mom and asked her what I should do. She suggested I make grape syrup...yummy, yummy!

Fruit syrup is easy, easy!!! It's one part juice to one part sugar...so for my batch I used 2 cups grape juice and 2 cups sugar. Mix together and boil. After it boils if you want it thicker, add a bit of Karol syrup to thicken it up. Pour into jars, seal lids, and boil in boiling water for 5 minutes. Remove from boiling water and jars should seal.

Here's what my shelves look like after the past 6 months....strawberry jam, apricot jam, raspberry jam (thanks, MOM!!!!), grape jelly, and grape syrup. Have I mentioned that my kids refuse to eat store bought jam now?! :)

1 comment:

Cula said...

I love homemade maple syrup and freezer jam! My family never ever eats store bought syrup or jam.