Saturday, December 27, 2008

Lemon Merguine Pie

Ever since I was a little kid, lemon merguine pie has been my very favorite pie. My grandma, aunts, or my mom would make this pie every Thanksgiving/Christmas. It's something I've really enjoyed over the years. The past few years, it's just made more sense to stay home for Christmas so I treat myself to this pie :) This year I just followed the recipe on the "cook-n-serve" lemon pudding box. After I got halfway through making the pie I realized I have tons of lemon juice frozen in the freezer...next time I try a "real" lemon merguine pie (if I remember) The recipe on the box is as easy as pie :)

Here's my mom's recipe for the "real pie"
Filling:
½ cup corn starch
1 cup sugar
½ cup lemon juice
3 egg yolks
1 ½ cup water
1 tsp grated lemon rind (optional)
1 TBL margarine or butter
1 (9-inch) regular pre-baked pie shell

In a medium saucepan, combine cornstarch, sugar, and lemon juice; mix well. Beat egg yolks; add to mixture. Add water. Bring mixture just to boiling over medium heat and simmer gently for 5 minutes, stirring constantly. Remove from heat. Add margarine and grated rind to thickened mixture and stir until thoroughly blended. Pour into baked shell.

Meringue:
3 egg whites
6 TBL sugar

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. With electric mixer at high speed, beat egg whites until soft peak form. Gradually add sugar. Continue to beat on high speed to form stiff, glossy peaks. Spread meringue over filling, carefully sealing entire edge of crust to prevent shrinking. Bake for 8-10 minutes or until golden. Cool on cake rack away from draft for 2 hours. Refrigerate, serve cold.

Yes, it was delicious!! But I haven't had another piece since Christmas Day. Since I received WiiFit for Christmas, I'm trying to be better than I have been...which means for our house...no more snacks (no matter what kind they are) after 7 p.m. So far Dave & I are doing well...even though we went to see Twilight last night...we just stopped eating our snacks halfway through the movie :)

No comments: