Tuesday, February 7, 2017

Stromboli

This was a freezer meal made by my friend, Katie.  Yum!!!!!  
She got the original recipe from this blog.  I will DEFINITELY be making this again and freezing the other half for later.  

1 cup warm water
4 1/2 tsp yeast1 tsp salt2 1/2 cups room temperature water4 TBL oil8 1/2 cups flour (more or less)Toppings: shredded cheese, pepperoni, sausage, ham, salami, onions,  peppers, mushrooms, etc.


Place 1 cup warm water in a mixing bowl with yeast. Let sit until bubbly. Then add 2 1/2 cups room temperature water, salt, and oil. Slowly add in flour. The dough shouldn't stick when you touch it. Cover the bowl and let rise for about an hour.  Prep filling while dough is rising. (Saute veggies, cook sausage, etc.  Cool before freezing for next time.)  When dough has risen, divide into 4.  (My family will eat two, and I'll freeze two.)  Roll dough to about 12 x 18.  Add veggies, meats, cheese, etc in the middle.  Cut strips on each side and braid strips over top of fillings.  Brush with egg white and sprinkle with Italian seasoning. Bake at 350 for 20 minutes until top is brown..  

(Side note:  When I used this as a freezer meal, I let it sit out on the counter to defrost.  I cooked it for 20 minutes, and it still wasn't brown so I broiled it on high for 5 minutes.  There was a lot of liquid on the bottom of my pan.  I assume it was from everything not being completely defrosted.  I wiped that off the pan before I broiled it.)

No comments: