Monday, March 19, 2012

Baked Chimichangas

This recipe is another find from Pinterest....thanks to Six Sisters' Stuff.  Chimichangas are a pretty regular for Dave and I when we choose Mexican food.  This should tell you something.  I remembered to take a picture when I was cleaning up...only a half of one was left :)

2 (10.5 ounce) cans condensed cream of chicken soup
2 (4 ounce) cans diced green chiles
5 pitted green olives  (I didn’t have so I didn’t use)
1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped (I didn’t have so I added a green pepper instead)
2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese
1 (8 ounce) package shredded Monterey Jack cheese
1/2 (1 ounce) package taco seasoning
1 pound shredded cooked chicken meat
8 (10 inch) flour tortillas
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1 (8 ounce) package shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
1 cup chopped green onion
1 (8 ounce) container sour cream

Pour the cream of chicken soup into a blender along with the green chiles, olives, jalapeno, and lime juice. Puree until smooth, then pour into a saucepan, and warm over medium-low heat while proceeding with the recipe.

In a large bowl, stir together the cream cheese, Monterey Jack cheese, and taco seasoning until well blended. Fold in the chicken.  Evenly divide mixture among the 8 tortillas. Fold each tortilla burrito-style (tucking in the sides).

Place all chimichangas in a 9x13 pan, sprayed with non-stick spray. Brush all sides of each chimichanga with a small amount of olive oil. Bake at 350 degrees for 15 minutes, pull pan out and turn over each chimichanga. Bake for 15 minutes more. I actually turned mine one more time and cooked them for another 10 minutes…we love crispy!!

To serve, place a chimichanga on a plate, and ladle the warm sauce overtop. Sprinkle with Cheddar cheese and green onions. Finish with a dollop of sour cream.  The kids just ate them without anything on top.  I liked the sauce…but I definitely could have eaten it without the sauce too.

No comments: