Monday, June 6, 2016

Lumpia

For the past 6 (maybe more years) we've helped with the Varsity Scout Lumpia fundraiser.  This year we rolled just over 1800 lumpia.  This is the only picture I have of proof of our activity this year ;-)  My rolling fingers stayed busy!
Tonight I cooked some up.  I must admit that I usually wait a few months to cook it because it's not my favorite thing.  I decided to just cook it tonight to go with our dinner. 
Fresher is DEFINITELY better!
This is the recipe we use every year:
2 ½ pounds pork sausage
1 egg
1 cup carrots (chopped)
1 cup onions (chopped)
2 cups potatoes (chopped)
1 TBL garlic
1 ½ TBL soy sauce
1 TBL oil
1 TBL salt (less is fine…but no more)
1 TBL black pepper

Makes about 35-40 lumpia.
Cooking Instructions:
 *Do not cook in microwave or conventional oven.
*Keep frozen until ready to cook.
*Slightly thaw before cooking.
 Lumpia must be deep fried.  In a medium-size frying pan or skillet, add about 2 1/2 cups of oil.  Heat oil to medium heat.  Test the oil if it’s hot enough by dipping an uncooked lumpia into the oil.  The oil will bubble or sizzle when it’s hot and ready for cooking. Place lumpia pieces into the pan.  Cook until lumpia turn golden brown, about 3-4 mins.  Place cooked lumpia on a paper towel to drain excess oil.  Serve plain or with your favorite dipping sauce.  

No comments: