Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Chicken Tortilla Soup

I was ready for a new recipe tonight.  So I checked out a favorite recipe site and decided to try this recipe.  It will definitely be made in our house again :)


Chicken Tortilla Soup
1 onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced  (I only used one clove)
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 teaspoons chili powder
1 teaspoon dried oregano (I did add this but then read the reviews that most replaced it with cumin instead…so I added that also)
1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
1 (10.5 ounce) can condensed chicken broth
1 1/4 cups water
1 cup whole corn kernels, cooked
1 cup white hominy (I didn’t have so I didn’t add)
1 (4 ounce) can chopped green chile peppers
1 (15 ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained  (I added 2 cans…to make sure we had enough J)
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro (didn’t have)
(juice from one lime)
2 boneless chicken breast halves, cooked and cut into bite-sized pieces  (when I read the reviews it talked about browning the chicken after it was cooked.  I decided to cook it in salsa to add a bit more flavor)
crushed tortilla chips  (the kids ate their soup with tortillas)
sliced avocado  (didn’t have but would have LOVED it)
shredded Monterey Jack cheese  (we added cheddar cheese)
chopped green onions

1.      In a medium stock pot, heat oil over medium heat. Saute onion and garlic in oil until soft. Stir in chili powder, oregano, tomatoes, broth, and water. Bring to a boil, and simmer for 5 to 10 minutes.

2.      Stir in corn, hominy, chiles, beans, cilantro, and chicken. Simmer for 10 minutes.

3.      Ladle soup into individual serving bowls, and top with crushed tortilla chips, avocado slices, cheese, and chopped green onion.


No comments: